Rooms are reserved at the five hotels listed below. There are limited numbers of rooms and those will only be held for a while. Please book rooms sooner rather than later. Below those is a link to other hotels in the area, most of which are a short drive from the campus.
- The Westin, Palo Alto: To reserve rooms, mention “Feminisms & Rhetorics 2013.” Rates between $169-$309
- The Sheraton, Palo Alto: To reserve rooms, mention “Feminisms & Rhetorics 2013.” Rates between $139-$249
- The Cardinal Hotel: Room rates: standard room (with private bathroom) $169 and European style (shared bathroom) $89.
- Stanford Guest House: To reserve rooms, use the code 13WRITING when making your reservation. Room rate: $119
- Stanford Terrace Inn: To reserve rooms, please use the Group ID: 4444 and Password: 8888. Rates between $199-$209
- Other local hotel information can be found at this link.
Looking for a roommate? Click here. You can list your needs and we will put you in touch with others interested in sharing.
TRANSPORTATION & PARKING
Flying into the Bay Area: Stanford’s campus is located between San Francisco International Airport and San Jose Airport. Travel from both is about the same, so either is a fine choice.
To and From the Airport: Many folks have been communicating via the Facebook group to coordinate transportation. Below are some travel resources available to all participants:
- Cal Train is a reliable means of getting to campus from both SFO and San Jose Airports. Cal Train is a commuter train, serving the San Francisco/San Jose Peninsula, and the link to their site (http://www.caltrain.com/) provides times and information. The smartphone app “CaltrainMe” also provides easy access to schedules.
- Super Shuttle is also a reliable and mostly reasonable way to get to the Stanford area – it offers a $6 discount code for Stanford:T9X58 (thanks to Barbara L’Eplattenier for that information!). Book online for arrival from San Francisco or San Jose airports . For the San Francisco schedule, visit http://www.supershuttle.com/Locations/SFOAirportShuttleSanFrancisco.aspx. For the San Jose schedule, visit http://www.supershuttle.com/Locations/SJCAirportShuttleSanFrancisco.aspx. Supershuttle
Transportation around the Stanford area:
- Hotel Shuttles: Many of the hotels provide shuttles to campus. Please check with them about the times of those services.
- Stanford Shuttles: The Marguerite is Stanford’s free shuttle service that provides buses to downtown Palo Alto, some hotels, and other close neighborhoods. Lines O or N are the most effective for getting downtown and to many of the hotels. For more on the Marguerite shuttle stops, visit the Maps & Schedules page at http://transportation.stanford.edu/marguerite/MargueriteSched.shtml.
- Taxi: If you travel by taxi, be sure to ask the taxi driver to drop you at “Tresidder Union.” The following are two cab companies you might consider using for travel around the Stanford area:
- Car: If you are travelling by car, the street address for Tresidder that you can use for GPS is: 459 Lagunita Drive, Stanford, CA 94305.
Parking: There are many lots scattered around campus that you can use, although some require more walking to main campus than others.
- Metered parking is available behind Tresidder Union off of Mayfield Avenue; the parking machine for that lot accepts credit cards.
- You can also purchase One-Day Visitor “scratcher” permits at 340 Bonair Siding Road, Stanford, CA 94305, which will allow you to park in permitted spaces as well as metered spaces.
For information on visitor permits, specific locations for visitor parking, or parking for visitors with disabilities, visit Stanford’s Parking and Transportation Services website (http://transportation.stanford.edu/parking_info/VisitorParking.shtml).